If you haven't considered a mobile optimised responsive website, maybe you should. Here's why:
- There will be 788 million mobile-only Internet users by 2015.
- Global mobile data traffic will increase by a factor of 18 by 2016. (see cisco report below)
- World mobile data grew by a factor of 2.6 in 2010 from 2009.
- Average smartphone usage doubled: 79 MB per month, up from 35 MB per month in 2009.
- Android operating system data use is rapidly catching up to the iPhone.
Why is it changing?
Why are these rates of data use growth exceeding most expectations? The huge popularity of smartphones among mobile phone subscribers.
Last year, Cisco expected that the smartphone installed base would increase 22 percent in 2010, but recent data indicates that the number of smartphones in use grew by 32 percent during the year," Cisco's mobile data report says. Bottom line: there were 399 million smartphones in use in 2009, but 526 million, aka over half a billion, smartphones in the hands of consumers the next year.
So what platform do we develop our mobile website for? iPhone, Android or Windows?
In 2010 Android use dramatically caught up with the front runner. At the start of 2010 iPhone data consumption exceeded Android's by a factor of four. By the end of the year, the iPhone was only outpacing devices using the Android operating system by 1.75. Windows Mobile adds a 3rd type of platform to consider.
View9 Technologies can build you a responsive design for your website to detect the screen size and adjust the content to suit, giving your brand a uniform experience across a broad range of devices, which in-turn provides a great experience for the end user!
Predictions for the next 4 years
What does current research suggest?
- For the first time, mobile video traffic will account for a majority of traffic (52.8 percent) by the end of this year.
- Two-thirds of the world's mobile data traffic will be video by 2015.
- Mobile network connection speeds will increase ten times by that year.
- Mobile-connected tablets will produce the same amount of traffic in 2015 as the entire global mobile network in 2010.
Mobile data is well on its way to become a necessity - Cisco
Once you have a responsive design on your website, you might want to check out our augmented reality marketing solutions for ways to showcase your online presence in the offline world.